Sunday, April 2, 2017

Hunger




I eat sorrow,
your life, my
loss, settles
in the esophagus
I push with effort
You move on through
chest, diaphragm,
other,
Forced into lower
extremities, 
passing through
the ends of toes,
singeing
a molten liquid, returning
to ground
"ashes to ashes"
"dust to dust"


"ellecee"




Although opposite in character
this poem was inspired by 


"The tree has entered my hands,
The sap has ascended my arms,
The tree has grown in my breast -
Downward,
The branches grow out of me, like arms"




Written for 

Prompt Nights – Light is easy to love. Show me your darkness – [45]








8 comments:

  1. Oh this is absolutely deep and poignant, Linda!❤️💝 I love how you drew inspiration from Ezra Pound's poem and sparked its fire along into your poem. Sigh especially touched by;"singeing a molten liquid, returning to ground "ashes to ashes" "dust to dust" Thank you so much for participating at Prompt Nights and for your constant love and support❤️💝


    Lots of love,
    Sanaa


    PS: I hope you ll join me on Imaginary Garden with Real Toads. I am a member there now and will continue with a prompt on 19th April. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully then discarded / transformed.

    A powerful write.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first seven words are so ominous... One can't help but feel for this speaker. What an existence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The poem does all the screaming the protagonist cannot do. The pain and grief in this is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So real. Will it take root or will rest there?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...such powerful words. I felt the heaviness of the grief as it moved through your body til it settled at your feet...XXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. Intense...in few lines it is told so beautifully...!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so sad and dark full with the hurt of loss. Quite an extraordinary poem.

    ReplyDelete