Monday, April 15, 2019

The End




I awoke bereft. Something or someone had died. I struggled to remember who or what it was. There was a breeze outside; the curtains were fan tailing into the room. Gently, all the way in, all the way back.  The house seemed very quiet, I heard none of the usual morning sounds. I didn’t want to remember. We had quarreled about something insignificant. I threw his precious paperweight and it had broken. It shattered before our eyes and we were shocked into silence. But not remorse. “take no prisoners” came into my mind. No turning back.

Rage accosts the soul
overwhelming the senses
as illusions fall


"ellecee"






Inspired by today's prompt fromimaginary garden with real toads



10 comments:

  1. I argued a lot with my late father. On one hand I regret those arguments, because he meant well. On the other hand, I understand those arguments, because he didn't listen well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arguments can be devastating. they can shatter a relationship just like that paperweight. the senryu at the end is excellent. thank you for writing to my prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautifully captured moment, and yes, those quarrels often last longer than the person you quarreled with. We always remember them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arguements can tear two people apart if either one is unwilling to listen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is something so much more than the paperweight that is broken... but the finality of it marks something so very hard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It reads like being there, hearing and seeing the breaking of something once believed so solid. This is especially seen in the senryu. Such vivid description.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The broken paperweight speaks of more than glass. It is an exclamation to an ending. Powerful poem to end it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the imagery of the curtains, the sudden waking up... the scene is set well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The broken paperweight felt like a final push to finally face things. Beautiful haibun!

    ReplyDelete